One of the most important aspects of starting Search Engine Optimisation for your website is to get the title tags right. The title tag is the bit of text that appears in the top of the internet browser program bar for each page of your website:
- Keep it short: 65-75 letters (use our free ‘SEO count characters tool‘ to help you get that right);
- Ensure it contains keywords for the page being viewed;
- Ensure the most important keywords come first;
- Except on your ‘About Us’ page, put your brand at the end – not the beginning;
- Use ‘&’ instead of ‘and’ – it lets you squeeze more content in;
- Make it read well – remember this is the first line people might ever read about you in the Search Engine Results – if it is gibberish they won’t click on it;
- Don’t ‘stuff’ keywords in it by repeating keywords or just listing keywords.